genderroles

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Christmas is Coming

Only two more weeks until Christmas. And, like most years, it feels like there is so much left to do before then. I don't have the usual sense of panic though. Maybe I've finally gotten "perspective", and so I don't need to stress out. Or maybe the stress will come later, as my children arrive home from college and see everything that's not done and "encourage" me to get going.

I'm enjoying my JustFaith group at Epiphany. We're reading a great book now called "How Much is Enough?". It reminds me of another book I read for my Catholic Social Teachings class called "Still Following Christ in a Consumer Society." Basically, both books get you thinking about simplifying your life and prioritizing wants. It makes you think about what's really important in your life. And how if you say "stuff" isn't important to you, how you can see if that's true by the way you live (and not just necessarily by the stuff you have and buy).

Anyway, this is just an experimental post to see if I garner any responses. If so, I might do this more regularly (I know, you've heard THAT before.).

5 Comments:

  • If I'm reading this right, it's only been about 1/2 hour since you posted this. I don't know what's taking everyone else so long. I don't really have any content to this, but I'd like to see more. I guess that's it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:17 PM  

  • Wow, I check your blog regularly when I check everybody else's but usually I'm ready to skip on to the next person's right away (which is Dad's, who also doesn't post very often, which is why I check you guys last) and I was pleased to see a different title encouraging me to read. I come home this Wednesday so get ready for "encouraging". Just kidding. I can help out with whatever.

    By Blogger empeterson, at 8:38 AM  

  • I also hit both Mom and Dad's blogs very quickly every day, but I check them at the start. I go so quickly I actually zipped right past Mom's and had to go back to it.

    Good to see another post. I didn't know you were doing a group at Epiphany. Is that like a reading group or what?

    By Blogger Matthew B. Novak, at 2:47 PM  

  • My dad's facilitating that group, right? It sounds really neat. I asked him if I could join...not that I really could anyway being at school and all...but he said no.

    By Blogger Emily R Powell, at 7:58 AM  

  • I'm LOVING JustFaith. Maria wanted to do it with us too, but it ended up conflicting with her dance class. She would have been GREAT in this group.
    JustFaith is a program to gain exposure to the principals of Catholic Social Teaching. You read a variety of materials that deal with some hard subjects (poverty, racism, consumerism, etc.). We have speakers in, see videos, and also have "border crossing" experiences (kinda like the service projects I do with my youth). We have a diverse group of people, but we all have our Catholic faith in common and we have an interest in more fully understanding what the Church is saying about these subjects. I'd recommend this for anyone.

    By Blogger CAL, at 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home